Monday, November 4, 2013

A Language Spoken Only by Exchange Students...

So, I'm getting my bike out of the shed, going over the day ahead of me in my head. I'm thinking 'Oh, i have Politik, Mathe, Deutsch, and.. " ENTSCHULDIGUNG SIE BITTE!!! ... What the? Some lady was yelling to me through her open car window as she pulled over next to me.. "Das Krankenhaus! Wo ist das Krankenhaus!?" I answered, "Geradeaus, auf der rechten seite" She let out a sigh of relief, "Vielen Dank" and drove away... I got on my bike and started to pedal to school. Then, I couldn't stop smiling. (: I just had a whole conversation in Deutsch where the person had no idea i was American (forget the fact it was only 30 seconds or less haha), and I gave her the RIGHT answer, and...since she was headed to the Krankenhaus (Hospital).. Maybe I saved a life!! Ha, awesome. I went over the words from Great Gatsby that i had just read the night before..
"...one morning some man, more recently arrived than I, stopped me on the road. "How do you get to West Egg village?" he asked helplessly. I told him. And as I walked on I was lonely no longer. I was a guide, a pathfinder, an original settler. He had casually conferred on me the freedom of the neighborhood."
Haha, doesn't that fit perfectly? I felt like a local!
So, I've been getting my test grades back in school... I haven't failed a test! ...yet! Just a bunch of fives and sixes.. (which are the equivalent of D+ and C-) Ha.. I did get a 12 in Theater (B+) and a 14 in English (A)... I guess that's not so impressive though :P
The Halloween "Section"
For Halloween, which is not actually celebrated here in Germany, I went over to another exchange student, Joy's, house and we (together with our host parents) carved some pumpkins and listened to Halloween music.. also, Joy and I had a scary movie marathon (: ..the next morning we raked leaves for a few hours (Lots of wind nowadays, which means lots of leaves falling ha) then we went into Hannover and walked around the streets, ate Döners and all that good stuff!.. (:
PARTY-- w/ starting line up of our
last game!
My soccer team and I had our last two games.. which we won!! We are the Herbstmeisters! (The Fall Champions). We had a little get together after our last game to eat and celebrate!! I am sad it's over :/ It's been so fun to play here!!
We went to the movies this week..and, OH MY GOODNESS. Seriously, the nicest seats i have ever sat in during a movie (: They were sooo soft, like everyone had their own love seat. <3 I am going back, FOR SURE. Oh, plus the movie we saw (Frau Ella) was really good and I actually followed along pretty well for it being in german!
...Umm my mind does not work like it used to.. about two months into my exchange, I began thinking in two languages: English and Deunglisch.. however, now i only think in one language: Deunglisch. And, it is not easy to speak just english... In fact, it's really hard. :P In english class, I am no help to my teacher, because honestly anything they say wrong sounds like it could be right. She asks me "Brigitte?.. Does that work?" I stare at her blankly and reply.. "Uhh, well, it -uh.. sure? Possibly, maybe, i'm not positive, but I think so!".... i hope my mind continues to shift, and eventually i will be thinking and talking in german!.. In fact, I had a short dream in Deutsch a few nights ago (: I literally almost cried i was so happy!.. except.. everyone has always told me that once you dream in german, you know it. --But i don't know it allllll, yet.... so, does that mean there's something wrong with me? haha!
Hannover 96 Stadion
our YFU pumpkin and stuff (:
I have taken a new interest in music.. I have always been addicted to music, but now i have begun to make my own music on the guitar (which i have taught myself over the past few years) and the piano (which i have hated since i quit lessons a few years back).. but, my host father has been showing me cool things on the piano and he has a lot of great cds and music sheets since he works for a music company!
On sunday Joy and I went with our host families to the Hanover 96 Stadion to have a tour! So cool. We got to see everything, from the showers (Where David Beckham once showered), to the VIP bar. We were the only ones in the stadium and it was soooo awesome and beautiful!!
Also these past two weeks:
-Joy and I made French Toast for my host parents... they didn't like it very much :P
-I made a headline for soccer in the newspaper!! Cool, huh? (:
-I learned how to eat a Walnuss (walnut)
-I learned some new german games from some friends... (I'm gonna have to teach my family when i get home so i can continue to play them)
-I rode in the back of my host-dad's convertible with the top down (: It was such a clear night and you could see all the stars! So beautiful!
-I filled up my dropbox--like, it's out of space!--Germany is just too beautiful.. I take way too many pictures (:

Random Bench (:
On the streets of Gehrden <3


No comments:

Post a Comment