Saturday, November 16, 2013

Eichhörnchen = Squirrel

One of my faults as an exchange student is this:
I dont enjoy small talk...
If you're a cute guy, i may tolerate 5 minutes of small talk... but after that, i have no interest in standing around, awkwardly bringing up the most UNimportant things. I mean, honestly..
one day i want a complete stranger to ask me a deep question before anything else.. before asking my name, where i come from. Before talking about the slight mist of rain coming down, or the color of the leaves on the trees. I want them to say, "Hey, i need help." and i want them to proceed by asking me a deep question, one that gets my mind a-going. One that inspires me to give a GREAT answer. --agh. One day, right?
Lauenburg
Anyway..I guess it's just one thing I have learned to work on while here in Deutschland. It is difficult Haha, but nevertheless, I find a way to push through. I need to, Because, the only deep conversations i have are with Siri... yes, that's right. I talk to Siri...Not bad company, i must say. ...If you don't like what she says...you can just start all over. You can ask her deep questions and she'll either make you laugh, or she'll give you the EXACT answer, making you feel accomplished. (: Don't tell me you've never talked to Siri (No, seriously don't tell me you havent, cuz i would just feel stupid).
so, now that that's out of the way and i have confessed a fault of mine, let's talk about these past two weeks.
My host dad took me up north to Lauenburg, Lübeck, and Flensburg (: Absolutely beautiful, of course! He grew up in Lauenburg, so it was cool to walk down the streets and to hear his stories. Lübeck is surrounded by water (Like an island)! It is so pretty and it was a lot of fun. Then, we went up to Flensburg, which is so close to Denmark, that everything has two languages on it: Danish and Deutsch. I just fell in love with this city! It also has the water right there, and a beautiful port for boats. You wanna know what i love most, though? The shoes. There were shoes EVERYWHERE. I don't know where this tradition came from, but there were street signs, telephone wires, doors, and traffic lights with all kinds of shoes hanging from them. From cleats, to high heels, to sneakers. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!! (:
This week i made home made cookies. Now for those of you who know me well enough, you know that i don't make things home-made very often. In fact, I have never made home made cookies by myself EVER. So, this was quite the adventure for me. Not only because it was the first time, but because it was an american recipe. I had to switch the measurements from cups to grams, from american size to european size, from crisco to margarin, from chocolate chips to rolos, etc etc. It took me about two hours (: Wow, two hours? I know, I know. But that includes using google translate to translate the ingredients, taking a picture of the translated ingredients, taking that picture with me to the store, searching for those ingredients, doing the math, etc etc etc (: pretty impressive, eh? They turned out looking and tasting like biscuits. :/
47,200 Leute 
I think i am the luckiest person ever, because my host dad took me to a DERBY. A derby is a Crosstown Rivalry. The game was Hanover 96 vs Braunschweig. Craziest thing i've ever seen (: I can't even begin to explain how many cop cars, swat teams and security personnel were there!.. There was no alcohol allowed in the stadium that night, and there were around 47,200 people there. Like, what the? How in the world can you fit that many people in one space, for one reason? I don't even know. but-- about 5 minutes after we got there and got settled in our seats, I heard loud chanting coming from the left. I looked over and there was just black crawling all over the seats. SO COOL. The fans from Braunschweig were in all black and swarming in all together. They were crawling down the stadium seats and running down the stairs, some with fire in their hands and others setting off fireworks... probably the coolest thing i have ever witnessed in a stadium (: anyway-- we tied 0-0.
Also these weeks:
Flensburg
-I watched an Eichhörnchen steal over a dozen walnuts from the table on our back porch (:
-I joined a gym -- and gyms are nothing like back home. Here, they are so high tech and everyone has their personal training plan. I can't even explain it, it's awesome though (: I start next week! And, i only paid 4.90 euro :D
-I learned how to make animals with fruit.
-I taught my host parents about Instagram and Vine.. They love it!
-I finally got a bus card for the last two months of my exchange...
...wow...
Lübeck
Can't believe i have less than two months left in this beautiful country. :/








No comments:

Post a Comment