Monday, September 30, 2013

What is Typical German, anyway?


So, get this..
My host dad made me Carrot Apple Juice the other day.. I mean, he took apple slices and carrot sticks and put them in this magical juicer thing one by one and out came the most delicious liquid i have ever tasted. Mmm (: And then, just a few days later, we made homemade hashbrowns!!!! Am i the only person who has never done this? Because homemade hash browns are ten times better than any other hash browns! ...but that's not the point. Guess what he put on top of the hash browns?... Sugar and apple sauce..! He said "Oh, it's typish Deutsch" (Typical German), and I had the hardest time taking that first bite. Boy, did i love it though (: I then showed him typical American... Ketchup (: He had the same experience with his first bite, but he ended up loving it, too!
This week was so easy going for me because a lot of the eleventh grade students are gone on class trips! Some are in Rome, and others in Madrid! So, I only had one or two classes each day!
My host parents took me to the Hannover Neuen Rathaus (new town hall) this week. I got to read a lot of history of Hannover and see the pre-war and post-war pictures of the city. It is crazy how much destruction was done and its amazing to see how far they have come since then. We got to go to the top of the Rathaus to look down upon the city. Oh it was SO PRETTY!!!! We had the man-made lake, Maschsee, on one side, and Oktoberfest on another side, and churches all around and then the green forest encircling the whole city... So cool. (: Oh, and to get to the top of the Rathaus, you go on an elevator... And, not just any old elevator!.. The only crooked elevator in the world!!!! It was sketchy, but so awesome!
Pre-War Hannover
Post-War Hannover
Hannover Today
On Thursday I became a true german.... I had my first bike crash... haha, Ouch!! I survived it, though (:  That day, I realized something in class: germans don't make a lot of mistakes.
You see, one of my favorite quotes goes something like this:
Pencils are made with erasers to give you second chances.. however, the erasers are small to remind you that second chances are limited.
That eraser on my pencil has always kept me going. When I've made a mistake, it has always been the eraser that has protected my dignity and allowed me to fix that mistake. (Maybe I give my eraser too much credit, though haha) I was thinking about this quote when I realized nobody in my class had an eraser on their pencil..that is, if they were even using a pencil! (Most of them use pens) I have also realized this in the shops, there are no erasers on the pencils!! So I spent about an hour with this thought in my head... Germans dont make mistakes. However, in my next class (Art) one by one I saw each and every one of my class mates, to my relief, pull out a big eraser. I guess my new favorite quote is:
Pencils arent made with erasers...but not because there are no second chances, but because those second chances can sometimes be hidden.
Deep. (:
Anyway, This week I was able to start Fußball with my local team!!! It was so good to be back on the field for real this time (: I will play my first game this next week and I can't wait!
Hannover Neuen Rathaus 
On Friday, after soccer, I went back to one of my team mate's apartment and we all watched THE JUNGLE BOOK!!! It was great to watch a disney movie and the english subtitles made me realize how much I never understood the Jungle Book :P I gotta say though, The Bare Necessities song is WAY cooler in German (:

...The jungle book was a perfect way to start my weekend because on Saturday I went to.. THE ZOO! I have only been to the zoo once in the past 11 years because I have always been secretly afraid of it... I now totally regret not going all these years!.. The Hannover Zoo is so big and it is separated into different countries.. We went to Canada, Africa, India, Germany, etc. They are so clever with the beautiful way they set things up! We had a lot of fun there. (:
On Sunday I sat down with 9 other americans for dinner and it was really fun to hear all their stories about Deutschland! 4 of them were Mormon missionaries that have been here almost two years and they had so many great stories and memories to share! I am sad to say I only have three months left here in this beautiful country!..
I love Germany!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment